Sunday, May 31, 2009

Day 8 & 9 - Headed Home

We spent the morning riding through the Amish country in PA. I have never been before so I was excited to go. It was beautiful country side with farms, gardens and rolling hills. I loved seeing all the Amish people – Kendall especially liked the horse drawn wagons and buggies. She just kept yelling “horsie! horsie, mommy! I see horsie!” We saw one wagon loaded down with little boys and girls all with fishing poles. I wanted to take a lot a pictures but I though that seemed intrusive and maybe even offensive to them. We stopped at a roadside stand and I bought strawberry jam for me and the girls, a shoo-fly pie for Na Na and Karlee picked fresh made chocolate chip cookies for her and Kendall. A few miles up the road, we stopped and bought strawberries for $2 a basket. Kendall loved them. We also visited the Bird-in-Hand bakery for some of the best doughnuts I have ever tasted. Then we drove down some back roads through Maryland, West Virginia and Virginia passing through Harper’s Ferry and stopping to stretch out legs at the Shenandoah River State Park. We stopped for the night in Salem early enough to let the kids run and play in the hotel while Ken picked up supper. The babies loved being out of their seats and rolled, scooted and sat around playing for over an hour. We had a huge whirlpool bathtub so Ken put Kendall in and let her have a bubble bath. Then I put her to bed while Ken and Karlee went to the pool.

We are headed home now and expect to arrive around 4:30 this afternoon,

No comments: